The Role of Interleukin 6 in COVID-19
The pandemic Coronavirus-disease 19 (COVID-19) is characterized by varied reactions. While most patients experience only mild symptoms, a relevant proportion develop severe disease progression with increasing trouble breathing up to acute respiratory distress syndrome. This effect is often called a cytokine storm. Recent research indicates that the overexpression of an immune mechanism in the body called Interleukin 6 (IL6) is a major predictor of the more serious potentially life-threatening outcomes.
Several situations in our lives can influence our level of IL6 and our level of risk associated with COVID-19. Based on this, we can surmise that finding ways of down regulating IL6 in our body will improve our prognosis should we be exposed to the virus. In this newsletter we will review the physical conditions and lifestyle issues that can increase our risk and the strategies and resources we can use to improve our response to the Virus should we be exposed.
Diseases Associated with Elevated Interleukin 6
There are a number of diseases associated with elevated Interleukin 6: Heart Diseases, Cancer, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Asthma, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Major Depression and Mental Disorders. Consequently, people with those conditions are at higher risk of developing serious reactions to the Covid-19 infection. Make sure you protect those people and keep them safely at home. However they will also benefit from the following recommendations.
Lifestyle Issues Negatively Impacting Interleukin 6 Expression
These are, for the most part, things that you can modify if necessary:
- Chronic insomnia
- Sleep deprivation
- Excessive exercise
- Lack of exercise
- Excess alcohol
- Chronic stress
- Over consumption of sugar and starch
- Overconsumption of fat and processed food
- Over consumption of caffeine
- Deficiency of Vitamins and minerals
Things You Can Do to Regulate IL-6 and Decrease Your Risk
Each of the following can support you in decreasing risk:
- Positive emotions: Focus on gratitude and practice inner peace
- Breathing exercise: Inhale in 4 counts and exhale in 8 counts
- Listening to Music
- Regular varied exercises
- Balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, particularly leafy greens and broccoli
- Consumption of fruit, particularly berries
- Caloric restriction (intermittent fasting)
- Cooking with Olive Oil
Top Nutrients and Supplements to Decrease Your Risk Factors
- Spices to use in cooking:
- Bay leaves
- Black Pepper
- Vitamin D3: 5000 IU daily
- Andrographis: 500 daily
Out of 20 plants tested, Andrographis inhibited IL-6 the most.
- Quercetin: 500mg twice daily
- Vit C: 2000mg twice a day if tolerated (see next listing if intolerant)
- Liposomal Vit C with R Lipoic acid: 3 sprays in the mouth twice daily
- Olive Leaf Extract: 500 mg twice daily
- Artenisia Annua: 500 mg daily
- Zinc Acetate: 30 mg daily
- Magnesium Glycinate: 200 mg twice daily
- Curcumin: We recommend Curapro 750 mg daily
- Boswellia: 500mg daily
- Fish Oil / DHA: 2000 mg daily
- Resveratrol: 500 mg daily
- Probiotics: B Infantis, S Boulardii, L Casei
- Jasmine Tea: 1 cup twice daily
The more you incorporate some of these suggestions in your life the less likely you are to have major issues if you are contaminated with the COVID-19 virus.
For Further Information
For more information of interleukin 6 on serious outcome of COVID-19, click here.
For a more in-depth analysis of the positive and negative impact of Interleukin 6 on the body and the mind, click here.
For more information or for an appointment with Dr. Babinet:
Email: [email protected] or call 720.328.8299